“A Funeral For Jay”, Literacy In Primary School
A Funeral For Jay.
Justin helps his little sister feel better by holding a funeral for her dead pet. It’s a secret funeral in the backyard on Saturday morning. It is a solemn affair. Mum and Dad return from shopping and then the children get ready for sport.
The target word pattern in this text is mn, such as hymn, solemn, autumn.
- The child reads,
- finds words,
- makes a list,
- adds related word forms and
- writes meanings in his or her own words.
Who Uses This Item
Suitable for Year 4 and 5 and their parents. Parents tutoring their own children can download, print and teach. Any parent can teach using this worksheet package. I have taught many children using this material myself and I am making it available to parents to help their their own children. Price in Aus$.
A Funeral For Jay.
A Funeral For Jay is about Sophie’s pet guinea pig, Jay, that dies. Justin, her brother, understands her loss.
Sophie wants a funeral for her dead pet. The two children hold a secret funeral in the backyard. They say the bits of the Ode of Remembrance that they heard last Anzac Day because they don’t know a hymn. Sophie feels better. Their parents come home from shopping, and then the children get ready for sport.
Following the reading, writing tasks include
- making a list of mn words from the text,
- writing another form of each word and
- then the child writes the meanings in their own words own words.
- Examples of words are: solemn and autumn. Writing another form of the word needs help, but autumnal, for instance, explains why we have n in the word autumn. Acquaintance with the new word is enough.
- There are text response questions.
- The items in the Activities section have 24 marks divided between the questions.
Who Uses This Package
It is suitable for parents tutoring their own Grade 4 or 5 child. If a question is allocated 2 marks then the child needs to have two points in the answer. Take half a mark off for a writing problem especially if the word is in the text to copy. Price in Aus$.
A Similar Item
A worksheet package that is of similar level and subject matter is Kylie’s School Project and it can be found at this link.