Splat! Literacy, Grade 1, 2
A funny thing happens in the park when a bird drops a surprise on Sam’s face. Realistic and authentic, this is a vignette of a small event in the lives of four children.
It is followed by two pages of Word Study and Text Study. Grammar, spelling, meanings of words and the target words are in this package. The Text Study firms up the child’s understanding. It provides teaching moments and a chance for the student to write answers. There’s lots to do and should be about four or five half-hour sittings with your child.
Reasonable duplication is permitted under this Copyright for teaching purposes in a group of any size.
Splat! is a bundle of lessons in reading and writing. This is best for Grade 1 and Grade 2.
What Is In Splat
This set of language tasks includes:
- a 2-page story about children playing in the park,
- target words with ir spelling, such as girl,
- high frequency words and sight words,
- a set of tasks in the Word Study based on the words in the story, and
- a set of questions on the content of the story in the Text Study.
Who Uses This Set of Lessons
Parents, teachers and non-teachers can teach a Grade 1 or Grade 2 child on a one-to-one basis or in a small group. This is a ready-to-use package with a simple story and language activities.
How To Use This Package
The reading task is two pages. It should be read twice. The first reading is for decoding and the second is for comprehension. The Word and Text Study have several numbered tasks. These include:
- finding and writing the target spelling words,
- writing sentences with support,
- short forms that use the apostrophe, such as I’ll
- ea words as in head,
- bossy e, sometimes called the messenger e, at the end of a word such as bike,
- write past tense of verbs that appear in the story,
- picking out the nouns,
- answering questions as single words, a phrase or a sentence.
These packages are in a logical sequence. Let the child read each question and watch over the student while working. The tasks have necessary information to help parent and child.
Helpful hints for non-teachers: https://www.tutoringprimary.com/teaching-reading-writing-grade-1-grade-2/
Sam Gets A Flat Tyre targets the bossy e. https://www.tutoringprimary.com/product/sam-gets-flat-tyre-literacy-grade-1-2/
This link is good for middle to upper primary school. It introduces children to birds in a scientific way.